It's very easy to fall into the habit of consuming fast fashion. In fact, fast fashion has been forced down our throats for the last few decades, and while regular shopping is probably unavoidable if you are passionate about clothes, what we can avoid is waste our hard earned money on pieces that would look ragged after two washes.
I do understand that compromises must be made. If you follow the trends religiously and you don't want to break the bank, it might be wise to buy a few pieces here and there from Zara, TopShop, Gant and the like. There is nothing wrong with that, as long as you know that they will probably last one season looking presentable (maybe a season and a half if you are lucky and take really good care of them).
However, we all should have a few things we can rely on that we know look amazing on us and we can dress up and down, make classic or trendy with a few add ons.
Most of us know what kind of cuts and materials we look good on. If you don't enlist the help of a ruthless and honest friend (perhaps even two) and go through your wardrobe together, even better consider investing in a stylist. Our main wardrobe should be made of these garments. If we had to run away for a weekend somewhere, we should be able to create a business, casual and evening look with them and know that we look perfect. Once you have found the kind of clothes I'm talking about, you won't mind investing a bit more of money on them to ensure they look the best way possible on you and they remain in your wardrobe as staples for as long as possible.
That said, here are five things you should invest in if you are a woman:
1. A good pair of heels. We all know the horrors of wearing uncomfortable heels. They are bad for your feet, ankles and back. And you probably look like a drunk duck walking on them. You know, those shoes that make you rather walk on your tongue than on your feet at the end of the day. Ditch them! Find a good pair that fit your feet shape well, have the correct height for you and your physical conditions and are versatile. Unfortunately, the comfortability of a heel is usually directly proportional to the price of the shoe but hey, better have one pair you can rely on than twenty that make your life a living hell!
2. A good bag. I've said it many times. First impressions matter, whether we like it or not. Choosing the right handbag is part of that. Again, like with the heels, go for quality over quantity. Perhaps invest first on a day to day bag and then move to an evening one.
3. A well cut dress that flatters your figure. Kudos if you can dress it up or down depending on the occasion. The fabric and cut should be as good a quality as you can afford. If you are not a dress kind of girl, then go for a pair of tailored trousers. They are often one of the most difficult pieces to find, so if you find one that flatters you make sure to invest in them.
4. A jacket. It can be a blazer, a leather jacket or something different, but make sure you have a good one. It's going to depend on your lifestyle and what you will need it for, but an IT piece will round an outfit and make you look sharper and more put together.
5. Jeans. The thing about jeans is that if paired correctly, you can do almost anything with them. You just need to wear ones that look flattering on you. Denim colour, black, grey... that's your preference. Find a good brand that makes clothes for your shape and tastes and start collecting maybe!
Do you believe in quality over quantity? Tell me about your shopping habits in the comments below!
Subscribe to Colpo D'Occhio's Newsletter!
Follow me on Twitter to carry on the conversation.
Are we Instagram mutuals yet?
Like Colpo D'Occhio's Facebook Page for more content and instant update