If you are a regular reader of my posts, then you've seen me insist time and time again on the importance of dressing well and how much it can affect your personal and work lives.
I know many people do understand how key this is, but still have trouble getting dressed in the mornings and are never sure or happy with the results they get.
Dressing well doesn't mean constantly being dressed up. Dressing well means choosing the right garments and accessories for each occasion, taking into consideration what kind of message you'd like to put out there.
Are you going to a wedding? To a work meeting? To the office? A party? A date? The gym?
Do you want to look relaxed? Approachable? Powerful? Serious and trustworthy? In control? Fashionable?
These are questions that we all should ask ourselves before picking an outfit, I'm not saying you should literally answer each and every single one of those questions, I'm saying that you should keep them as a guide and remember that you should adapt your wardrobe to your needs instead of your clothes choices forcing you to adapt.
Here are 5 tips to help you make sure you are making the right choices:
1. Only keep in your wardrobe pieces you look good in. They have to be your size, in the appropriate fabric and the right cut/shape, fall the right way, fit like a glove.
2. Make sure every item is clean and ready to wear. Ironed, pressed, you name it.
3. Always add a personal touch to your outfits, that will help you look more put together.
4. Think about where you are going and what you need your clothes to do for you. Think of it as rehearsing a speech. With time it will become second nature, you will just know.
5. Ask the opinion of someone you trust. When in doubt, ask. If you aren't sure if what you are wearing flatters you or is the right pick ask a trusted friend, or a professional. Don't ask your partner! Although a woman will likely tell you the truth, a man will feel he has to say you look terrific no matter what!
These are general rules that will help you get better at the art of dressing for success.
However, if you still find it difficult or would like structured help you can rely on, there are good professional stylists you can contact that would be happy to put you on the right path.
Remember, everyone can look chic and on point, is a matter of learning.
Subscribe to Colpo D'Occhio's Newsletter!
Follow me on Twitter to carry on the conversation.
Are we Instagram mutuals yet?
Like Colpo D'Occhio's Facebook Page for more content and instant update